What’s the story? What is your evidence?
- The facilitator invites the participants to imagine what story the artwork is suggesting.
- The facilitator asks for the visual evidence that supports this narrative.
- The facilitator continues to reflect the participants’ contributions.
- The facilitator repeatedly invites participants to offer their individual points of view with supporting evidence.
- With encouragement from the facilitator, different points of view will emerge.
- Multiple interpretations are usually entertained with genuine interest, even curiosity.
The invitation to suggest multiple interpretations parallels the medical practice of differential diagnosis.